Saturday, September 28, 2013

It Is What It Is



Stop being pretentious
This family is happy and supportive of one another. Its obvious they deeply care for each other and are looking out for their best interests. No, they aren't living in LA arguing over which fall fashion line to buy and that is no reason to tear them to shreds. They have limited means but they make the most of it and know how to have fun. Its a different subculture than what you are used to seeing on tv but get over it. Highly entertaining, and Im constantly laughing. Makes for good tv.

Funny Stereotypes
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I ended up laughing at this stereotype of uneducated unwholesome family life in the fry-daddy rural south. I felt more ashamed of myself with each episode I watched. But it sure was funny and if the series was mean spirited in concept the Honey Boo Boo clan diffused it and disarmed it with their willingness to laugh at themselves. They embrace their lifestyle. They love each other. In the end I had to wonder who's zoomin' who. In a clear and mean attempt to poke fun, it was clearly the Boo Boo family who was laughing last and loudest.

I'm surprised. I absolutely expected to hate this show.
My guess is TLC thought they hit the Redneck jackpot with this family and planned to exploit them for fun and profit. They've got extreme couponing, the Redneck games, the teenage, unmarried pregnancy, obesity, toddler pageants, roadkill bbq, and a couple other negative American stereotypes thrown in for fun. They're probably kicking themselves that they couldn't manage hoarding. (I mean TLC is more carnival side-show than learning channel anymore). I think it backfired on them when the family didn't turn out to be a bunch of fist fighting, bitter and angry Rednecks on food stamps who were paranoid over the government. Instead they got a family that loved and supported each other.

While I think the entire pageant system is a huge scam and detrimental to the self-esteem of young girls (and boys), Alana seems to think they're fun. Her family has a much healthier attitude towards her participation than most pageant parents as in, it's great if she wins but they don't punish...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment